Sunday, October 24, 2010

Off to the races...

I wish there were some ugly horses.  It might help
narrow down the betting choices.
Yesterday was the most beautiful of Kentucky autumn days that you can imagine.  And, lucky girl that I am, I spent my day at Keeneland as the guest of some very nice people who invited us to a party in their corporate box.  If you've never been in a corporate box at Keeneland, it's pretty swell.  There's really great food (yesterday some amazing sesame-crusted ahi tuna), delicious cocktails (nothing beats a Keeneland bloody Mary), great views of the track, and engaging company!  It's especially nice if you are at Keeneland and it's not the most beautiful Fall day in the history of Fall days.

I love betting on horses  and hearing everybody's different take on their horse of choice for a race.  Many people just bet the handicappers favorite listed in the front of the program -- almost fail safe but not nearly as fun as the strategies I typically use throughout a day to achieve betting success:  eyes closed - finger pointing, choosing the high pay-out long shot, betting on grey horses, or my favorite -- just choosing the one whose name I like best.   Yep, it's pretty scientific.  After I lose about $6 when the aforementioned techniques don't work, I forget the horses and just bet my favorite jockeys. Yesterday's winnings using the jockey technique? $3.60 which is just about enough for a pumpkin spice latte at Starbuck's.

4 comments:

iselby said...

Hehe! I hope that you go get that pumpkin spice latte and I also like your techniques. Too cute, Auntie!

Peddie said...

I remember I always "voted" for whichever horse had a jockey with a heart-patterened riding outfit. Science also runs in my blood, obviously.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Peddie, that's a great strategy although there probably aren't that many horses with heart-pattern silks are there? I forgot about voting "Phi Mu" -- pink silks with a possible quatrefoil? Or, some lion-sounding name!

I always call it "voting", too! Even Uncle Marc will call it that now :-)

I talked an old West Pointer with us into betting on a horse named Crossed Sabres. I bet it, too, in honor of Grandpa and Uncle Mo. He came in pretty close to last...

Peddie said...

Haha... making goals and voting are my favorite words for those kind of things in general ;)

Btw, I met a guy from West Point who also went to Georgia Tech while in Nurenburg for an hour switching trains during fall break! He was from Atlanta, and Lobe (From Atl) was with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails