Monday, October 18, 2010

The Cathedral Writing Group

Writing is good for you.  I promise  It's something anyone can do and something everyone should do. 

I'm a huge fan of daily writing, not that I accomplish writing every single day, but I do believe it's a powerful means to knowing yourself better and understanding your story.  We all have a story to tell and we all tell our stories differently every time we tell them.  Knowing our own story can help us relate to other people and see the mysterious ways that God works in our lives.   Personally, I find it's an important part of my prayer life as well.  When life feels like it's spiraling out of control (and frankly when doesn't it!), I find writing brings the same kind of peace and balance to life that I get from running.
This Fall, after much deliberation and prodding from my friend Elizabeth who is the Minister of Christian Formation at Christ Church Cathedral, I am leading a writing group that meets on Thursdays at 12:15.  It's an open group with folks who make it in when they can armed with their pens and journals, I don't "teach" writing, I merely facilitate and I send group members a daily prompt (except Sunday) via email.  During our meetings at the Cathedral, we do a variety of exercises to explore writing and talk about what we find in our writing. 

While we don't use a particular text, Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg is probably my favorite writer who writes about writing.  I like Julia Cameron an awful lot too, author of  The Right to Write and The Artist's Way

If you'd like to be a part of the Cathedral Writing Group, let me know!  You can also be a virtual member and I'd be happy to send you our daily writing prompt. 

1 comment:

iselby said...

I will do it if you post the pumpkin muffin recipe ;)

If I fail at writing one day am I kicked out of the group?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails