Sunday, October 3, 2010

Secretariat, the movie...


 As if Lexington weren't exciting enough, this photo that looks like an empty street is the closed street for the world premiere of Secretariat! The showing is at our own Kentucky Theater and Diane Lane herself is in attendance!! Unfortunately, I was not invited nor could I afford to buy my way in! Oh well, I had to pick Mary Rollins up from youth group at church so at least I got to see the closed street. 

Much of the movie was filmed in Lexington. We've seen the trailer with lots of great shots of Keeneland and Spindletop!  I can't wait to go see it.  I was only seven years old when Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973 but I still remember the day he won the Kentucky Derby.  My dad had Secretariat in our family Derby pool and fell of a ladder the same day.  I remember it was a lucky/unlucky day for him.  I also remember going out to Claiborne Farm as a girl to see Big Red in retirement.  Probably (if my parents could find any of their photos), I have a picture with him. 

Now that might make it worthwhile looking through my parents' basement! 

3 comments:

Peddie said...

That makes me think of Seabiscuit... which I think I started in your basement and then was too tired to continue watching. Wasn't Spiderman in it?

Anyway, Secretariat sounds even cooler and I think you should definitely find those photos!Fun!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Seabiscuit is an awesome movie, Peddie! You must finish watching it next time your here. It's a great book too. I bet it would make an fantastic audiobook listen -- just right for making equine-inspired jewelry probably!

Is your jewelry design ever influenced by your audiobook listens?

Peddie said...

Equine jewelry is definitely something I should get into, should I ever actually move back (yay!) ... but up till now, I don't think it's ever really influenced me. I did kind of squirm when Lisbeth Sander dropped her expensive jewelry items ("they were tagged" or something)......

I could have melted that for her! She didn't have to throw it away!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails