Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WWMRE...

Doesn't it seem like everyone is always talking about some new diet or eating lifestyle?  "I'm only eating paleo," "I'm gluten-free'" "I'm on a low-carb diet," et cetera, et cetera.  I know you know what I mean.  And, there must be dozens and dozens of apps to help you track what you eat and how many calories you've burned, et cetera.

I decided last year to give up weighing myself for Lent.  I used to weigh myself every morning compulsively and if I was a couple of pounds up...boo hoo...and if I was a couple of pounds down...woo hoo.  Every day it seemed like it was one or the other and I realized I spent way too much valuable time thinking about how much I weighed when my clothes fit perfectly/reasonably well and that was all that really mattered.  My work, spiritual life and ability to drive my children places in the car are not in anyway impacted by whether I weigh 126 pounds or 129 pounds.  However, having clothes that fit on my body does have some importance as I can't afford all new clothes and smocks are just not appropriate Realtor attire.  And so, last year, along with fashion and shopping, I gave up my scale.  I have not looked back or down since (except for twice last month and I remembered immediately, why I stopped weighing myself). 

Around the same time, I also decided I was no longer interested in playing any sort of "food games" with myself.  However, I totally respect and honor those people who for their own reasons do make important and healthy food choices.  For me though, I just want to eat fewer processed foods, more whole foods and less meat.  I thought I did pretty well, overall, and while I haven't quit eating French fries, my only New Year's resolution was to stop ordering them.  So, beware if you order French fries with your meal and you're eating with me -- you'll lose some of them.  I realized yesterday though that I could and should do better with my eating but how???  And, then the answer came to me:  going forward I will only eat foods that I think Mary Rollins would eat or follow the WWMRE plan.

Mary Rollins is perhaps the most reasonable and balanced eater I know.  She's not quite a vegetarian, so you can take her to any restaurant and she'll find something that she'll enjoy but she chooses meatless when it's an option.  She has great willpower but will enjoy a sweet treat or something decadent on occasion. To me, she's the ultimate food role model!

Here's how yesterday went on my new food choices plan:


And so, I did NOT have Chick Fil A for lunch even though I was starving and it was right there!  As it turned out, I was also by Trader Joe's and needed a couple of items so I went there and got a nice wrap sandwich with pesto and roasted pepper which was very good tasting and very good because my house was full of lots of very nice contractors working on the new kitchen.  I checked later with Mary Rollins and she approved of the sandwich from Trader Joe's in place of the faro.  Plus, I think she ate the faro later for a snack so everyone was happy.

Last night for dinner, we had a lasagna I made in the Ninja, asparagus I made in my steamer and a salad I made in a bowl.  I knew I was safe eating all those items because I knew that Mary Rollins would eat them.  Now, here's the conundrum:  I knew Mary Rollins would eat them because I had made them for dinner and she always eats what I make for dinner!  It's like the chicken and the egg, which came first!







3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't weigh myself for the same reason. Have tried not to regularly do so since high school. I ate badly (a vegetarian that didn't like most vegetables) and VERY LITTLE. I'll just say I was dehydrated a lot and weighed about 120 pounds at my heaviest back then (on my frame!)

I had a while of tracking calories but I got very obsessive about that and had to stop. This was all before I realized the full extent of Celiac and my dairy allergy and how that is what was actually making my body go crazy.

But yeah, just eat well. Treat yourself sometimes. If you don't have to, don't eliminate a whole thing from your diet (says the vegetarian). I sometimes go on rants about that. Maybe that "sometimes" should say "often".

This MR "diet" is the way to go!

Unknown said...

Cheap Taps UK are one of the wanted fittings in all types of bathroom, regardless of whether Antique Taps is luxurious or simple. Nowadays, special emphasis is given to Waterfall Taps and its accessories such as taps. In fact, bathroom is viewed as a luxury space than a mere functional Bathroom Sink Taps. Owing to this, recently various fixtures are created to bring an aura of luxury and bathroom taps play a significant role in elevating your http://www.uktaps.co.uk/.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Gee thanks Kate Moss...

Amy thanks for the comment and thanks for coming to visit us this weekend. I would really struggle being a dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan although you always make everything look so delicious in all the pictures on www.glutengrapple.blogspot.com

Maybe if you were my personal chef...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails