Friday, March 7, 2014

Fish Fridays.

I've made it to the first Friday of Lent and the third straight day of blogging.  Granted only 3 hours remain in the day but here I am under the wire.  The funny thing about committing to writing during Lent is how much I already look forward to getting the opportunity during the day to write.  But, like Cinderella, I had to get all more chores done before I could go to the blogging ball. 

Although, I didn't have time until now to write, I spent a fair amount of time as I was driving around town on a thousand different errands about what to write. What I thought about most was food, my current lack of a kitchen and what I was going to have for dinner.  And, since it's a Friday in Lent, I kept coming back to eating fish on Fridays during Lent.  Fridays in Lent were horrible for me.  I could have gone for, say, a nice cheese sandwich or perhaps some tuna salad or fish sticks but my mother made horrible things like salmon croquettes that had pieces of crunchy bone in them or this nasty white fish that she broiled with a splash of lemon juice on it that got all fish-greasy (is that such a thing) and it always had bits of scale on it and fish bones.  Those were scarring meals as my mother was a very strict clean-plate clubber and food that you didn't finish came back out the next morning for breakfast.  The thought of something so vile returning as breakfast was terrifying!  Learning to enjoy seafood took me years and even today, I am very VERY particular about eating fish.

For years, I was very careful about not eating meat on Lenten Fridays however in recent years I've been less intentional in avoiding meat and embracing fish.  While my childhood meatless Fridays were a true penance and sacrifice, eating fish now is a downright pleasure. In fact, I saw that a friend on Facebook had posted a photo of their annual Ash Wednesday Lobster dinner.  I find that confusing--isn't a lobster feast the exact opposite of observing Ash Wednesday?  So, I will not indulge myself in enjoying tasty and beautifully cooked grilled Tuna and sushi and instead force myself to eat leftovers.

The end.

Except I didn't have leftovers tonight.  I made farro with mushrooms and goat cheese.  Seems kind of fancy but it was meatless.
.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails