Wednesday, September 22, 2010

a little post about WEG -- the Endurance Race

This morning's newspaper had a nice article about the 100 mile endurance race.  Apparently, only about 40% of the participants have finished the race in previous World Championships.  They are hoping that 50% finish it this year.  And, I also heard that the Sheik (i.e. King) of Dubai is on his country's team.  You can't really watch any of the event though because the route goes through people's farms,

Endurance sounds so cool to me.  I'm thinking like the movie Hidalgo cool except without the horses dying.  When I was a kid, riding horses out on Delong Road, I used to like to pretend that I was endurance rider...or a pony express rider.  Sometimes, I'd ride my horse down to the mailbox and pick up the mail for my mom.

Oh...and this is apparently true, a man called the Altech WEG people to ask how he could enter his horse for the Endurance Race.  Too funny.

13 comments:

iselby said...

Can I enter Gus for the endurance race?

And your childhood sounds like a dream. Riding a horse to get the mail.. ahhh.

mere said...

I did that too!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Doesn't Gus have a broken leg?

That does remind me of Howie's failed attempt at racing in the High Hope Steeplechase Terrier Races. He got his little foot caught in his muzzle.

I think he thought it was a three-legged race.

mere said...

btw, what is Altech WEG? Gus' leg is much better but he is still not supposed to run for another month. (fat chance there) He gave my thumb a bad bite yesterday in his haste to grab his leash. Owww! bleeding and sore....

Peddie said...

Ahhahhaa... poor little Howie!!! Btw, my captcha looks like a nickname for a horse that actually hast a 4-part name or something, "Chaffly."

Btw, I always put my end punctuation within quotes in a sentence, unless it is something like an exclamation point, whereby I then continue the sentence as scheduled. What is correct, dear Auntie G(rammar)?

The picture suddenly came into my head of John holding Gus and MR holding Howie ;) Where is that?

Peddie said...

And I'm assuming the Altech WEG is the World Equestrian Games, as sponsered by Altech.

It's funny... things like Wrigley Stadium sound ok because I guess I'm used to it, but commercial names lately sound so weird... especially when commentators always have to repeat it.

iselby said...

Yea, Mere. Get with the program! (hehehe)

(W)orld (E)questrian (G)ames

Peddie said...

Haha, it's just her WAY.



haha? Little german humor? weg = way? Ok, nevermind...

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I will verify but I believe the punction is supposed to go inside of the quotation mark. Even if it feels awkward.

Peddie said...

It doesn't feel awkward! Two forms of pronunciation are and I hate when people do that so yaaaay I'm right even though I didn't believe myself for a second (hate it when I do that!)

Peddie said...

GWEN MATHEWS, REALTOR, ABR, QSC, MOM

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Ummm...A grammar update. When using quotation marks to denote a word being used in an unusual way, the period goes outside of the quotation marks. You, are still correct in your usage I would say in that you were quoting your captcha word.

Peddie said...

Hmmm... I'l try to keep that in mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails