Monday, September 20, 2010

circa 1968...

Not that horse isn't always the theme in Lexington -- self-proclaimed "Horse Capital of the World"--but in honor of the World Equestrian Games, I thought I'd post a picture of my own early days on horseback.

That's Miss Iowa Stonewall (aka  Nicky), my oldest sister Cindy's horse whom my other sister Lynda will tell you was the better horse (Cindy always got the best stuff  per Lynda-- but I believe in trade Lynda had TWO horses.)  I ended up with all THREE horses plus Vega, a Shetland pony with a really bad temper and a lazy streak, at the tender age of 8 when my sisters got married and my older brothers decided horses were too much work.

Nicky really was the better horse. She was the kind of horse that when you fell off she'd come back over to nudge you with her nose to make sure you hadn't died.  Cheyne (her daughter) was the kind of horse that threw you off because she thought it would be fun to kill you.  Playboy (her son) was the kind of horse that thought he was a dog.

And Vega...I wonder if anybody bothered to take a picture of her.  As I mentioned, she was a Shetland Pony.  If you've ever had a Shetland Pony, it probably speaks for itself.  If you haven't had a Shetland Pony, you're lucky.    

4 comments:

iselby said...

That picture is too cute. TOO CUTE!

Peddie said...

SECOND THAT!!!! I think I'm going to kick of my little supergirl costume for it on the itouchy.

I love this sum up of the horses too... you should have an audible blog ;) I remember when I was little that I thought "Cheyne" was spelled "Shane" which I thought was totally boring for a horse.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

FYI...so Mere and I were watching the Dressage horses at the World Equestrian games. They do this thing on a canter where the horse change leads on every step. It's incredible it looks like they're skipping! Mere made a comment about how she could barely get Cheyne to change leads once much less on every step!

Peddie said...

I just reclicked back here (sometimes I do use those little buttons that seem to recommend posts that really have nothing to do with the above one)....


and I laugh and laugh! You so funny ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails