Monday, January 25, 2010

You must be present to win...

That’s the lesson my 13-year old is learning about success these days. And I’m glad to say that she’s learning it from the right angle. If you know Mary Rollins, or know of Mary Rollins, to say she spends a lot of time dancing would be to say that Smoky the Bear spent a lot of time talking about forest fires. It’s what she does, it’s who she is these days.  Ballet girl!


Mary Rollins isn’t the best dancer in her level. I know it, she knows it and she willingly admits it.  Even though I’m her biggest fan, I can say she doesn’t have some of the natural ability of her peers (probably because she’s related to me). She’s got a huge heart though and an incredible work ethic…showing up to class and rehearsals even when she feels like sleeping in or hanging out with her friends.

Mary Rollins has had some great dance roles recently – parts that she dances beautifully when she gets on stage – parts she performs flawlessly because she’s studied those parts, and danced those parts over and over in her head while we’re riding in the car, while we’re eating breakfast in the morning and while she goes to sleep at night. These are roles earned because she was present at rehearsal as the understudy when someone else didn’t show up. She was present and on-hand marking the part and paying attention so when the director shouted, “hey Mary Rollins, fill in for ____ “, she could. She knew how to do the job and do it without complaint.  In fact, she told me driving to ballet last week, “you know why I got that part in Chairs, Mom? Because I was there.”  My daughter knows that you have to be present to win.

The first step to success is just being there.

Being successful in real estate is like that. You have to be present to win---being on time to show a house, being there for your clients and being present in their transaction from the beginning to the end. And, that’s goal.  Thanks for the reminder MR!

7 comments:

iselby said...

Do I win because I'm here?

And good job, Mary Rollins! We love that work ethic!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I think that's why your boss likes you so much!

Except when you get stranded in Lexington. You don't win any points at work but it is fun for us!

iselby said...

I think it's ok every once in a while to get stranded somewhere.. builds character, maybe?

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Well...you won the prize of being there for iChing, Graeter's and Columbia's...I believe the theme was "being stuck in Kentucky is the worst!"

And tomorrow we'll visit the topic of When Life Gives You Lemons :-)

iselby said...

You're right! Being stuck in Kentucky is the worst... and if you would like me to make a list of reasons why, I would be happy oblige.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Oh yes! Please give the list. I might have to make you a guest blogger!

iselby said...

I'm on it! An email is on the way.......

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails