Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Is it just Murphy's law that when you finally get your running distance and times in a positive sync that you’ll contract the granddaddy of all colds and not train for a week. Oh well, sleeping in a little is nice, too.


We're nearing the end of January and I'm reflecting back on how my New Year's resolutions are holding up. Running wasn't tied to a resolution for me but I did resolve to do a number of other things better in 2010: writing regularly and being a bit more organized in my work and personal life. I'm happy to report some success so far. My 2010 mileage log is up to date through today and Sunday night I organized my kitchen drawers. Kitchen drawer organization may seem trivial but these drawers were in dire straits and I task I've been putting off for years.  I literally dumped boxes of utensils into these drawers 6 years ago when we moved to our current home and have done nothing..NOTHING...to them since.

If you need a visual, I have three kitchen utensil/item drawers organized into various levels of use: Daily use (bottle opener, cork screw, garlic press); frequent use (big spoons, salad tongs, whisk); and possibly used this decade items (cookie press and the cutest little sandwich shape maker my sister gave me). Scattered amongst all three drawers were a varied assortment of items that have seemingly bred in the enclosed space:  chopsticks, old wine corks, matches (some used, huh?) shish kabob skewers, egg slicers, citrus presses, plastic cutlery, used birthday candles, and an electric knife that I used back in 2000 when I was making my own baby wipes. These drawers were so bad that as a general rule, I don't allow any friend helping me in the kitchen to open them lest they become horribly frightened and run away screaming.

So Sunday afternoon, I sorted all three drawers while watching old Get Smart episodes and nursing my cold.  My children and I enjoyed guessing what various items could possibly do and pondered over what we were planning to do with all those wine corks -- possibly a craft?  Possibly science fair?

I can't begin to tell you what a beautiful thing they are to behold, today. But I can show you a picture.

And, let me tell you, that people do, in fact, open your kitchen drawers (and your pantry and your closets when your house is on the market AND they judge you by them). While my house is not on the market, I can proudly say that my kitchen drawers are officially staged for sale! Are yours?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails