Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stuck in the Bluegrass from special Guest Blogger Isabelle Selby Linaburg

Hello there. My name is Isabelle and I'm not sure what my last name is yet. Don't get any weird ideas now, it's just that I got married in the last year and I haven't quite decided on which name to take/keep. So, we're all a little confused. That has nothing to do, however, with "Living in the Bluegrass" so I'll hurry along to that point. This past Nutcracker season.. ahem.. Christmas season I boarded a plane from a little old town called New York City and flew to Lexington. Now, this place is one of my favorites in the US for a variety of reasons, with most having to do with my wonderful glorious family. I also like horses, but that's secondary. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I made a little wish that I would get to stay longer than my plane ticket allotted for - something that has happened before when I got stuck here during an Ice Storm - when the weather guy in the sky decided that I could stay a little bit longer and brought me a ton of snow. Snow that meant that when I checked my email next I would find that my flight home had been cancelled and I was STUCK IN THE BLUEGRASS for another TWO days. Let me tell you, people. I had a horrible time. And thus being: my list..




Top Ten Reasons You NEVER Want to Get Stuck in the Bluegrass...



10. Building snowcats is a drag. So last year...



9. Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the shape of snowmen - are you kidding me? Excuse me while I dream of eating these again...


8. Having to go to Tea at The Greentree Tearoom. The food is only so-so. Can you tell?



7. Watching your mother and aunt sled down a snowy slope is something you'd rather miss. Believe me!



6. You'll have more time to geek out over iPhone apps (among other things) with your Aunt. Embarrassing!!



5. There are babies with dog ears in Lexington that hang out at Savane Silver. Beware of incredibly cute babies!



4. If you stay you get hit with lots of snowballs. Never mind that there are wonderful people throwing them at you...you just got hit. That's a fact.



3. Visiting homes with more space in their bathroom than you have in your entire apartment (remember, I do live in NYC)... not good, not good at all.



2. You never want to get stuck with dear, darling cousins and have to resort to eating ice cream at Graeter's Ice Cream on Romany Road.  That was the worst, the absolute worst.



1. And after all that.. you just might not want to leave.



Please excuse the blurriness as some photos were taken with my iPhone. Oh, you're intrigued and think my pictures are great? I would love to tell you more about my iPhone. Really, I would.


3 comments:

iselby said...

Can I comment on my own post?

Such a great time in Lexington - thanks Mathews!

mere said...

Yes, it was truly wonderful< I can attest to it and was sad we had to leave BEFORE you did!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I'm all for you commenting on your own post. And on any post for that matter! Thanks Isabelle and I'm so happy that Lexington is one of your favorite places. You are one of our favorite people in return!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails