Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Year of the Vegetable

Well, we are deep into 2012 and I have yet to talk about one of my favorite things:  New Year's Resolutions!  Last year, after much (possibly way too much?) debate, I decided to take a year off from New Year's resolutions -- I resolved not to resolve.  This year, I'm back on track though and looking forward to my resolution.  One of my favorite quotes is "Always, we begin again" from the Benedictine school of thought.  I'd like to pretend I'm an expert on the Benedictines but I'm not, I know just enough to say that quote.

And, so I love celebrating the New Year because it's such a great time to begin again, to do better, to take on something new.  And this year, on New Year's I declared that I will be living closer to the earth, that I shall do better to serve more local foods, eat less processed foods, and buy more at the farmer's market.

On Sunday night, aka New Year's Day, we were having a family discussion of resolutions as we munched away on hamburgers and new potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and onion tossed with some great herb mix I bought at the farmer's market last year.  I asked MR and Will if they had any resolutions and MR nicely started to say, "I want to be healthier" to which her brother began to laugh, perhaps guffaw is a better word choice.  Even I felt my mouth twitch at the corner and Marc raised an eyebrow ever so slightly.

Will said, "Ugly (his pet name for Mary Rollins), how do you propose to be healthier?  You're the healthiest freak I know.  Could you eat more salad? What do you plan to eat? Dirt?"

My favorite veggies:  Brussel sprouts
and aspargus tossed with olive oil, sundried
tomatoes, and a bit of garlic salt, oregano,
and basil.  Roasted and garnished
with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. 
And, he does have a point -- not about the Ugly or freak part -- but Mary Rollins is the healthiest, most balanced person I know.  She, in fact, shames me frequently and I often find myself running an extra mile or skipping out on bad-for-me goodies because I know she'd be so proud of me.

Mary Rollins, ever the cool sister responded to her brother with, "you know Will, you could try to eat a little better..."  And, with that bit of sisterly frost, I mean inspiration, I have a decided to tweak my resolution to what it really means.  My resolution is quite simply: to make Will eat more vegetables in 2012.

Do you have a resolution?

6 comments:

iselby said...

Haha! I love this, especially that you added the Ugly part. He makes it sound so sweet when he says it!

I always call MR my Ugly! I mean... I always call my Ugly, my Ugly...

I resolve to be nicer to everyone.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I often wonder how Will would react if someone else called her "Ugly." I suspect he'd take offence.

And, you are always nice so that should be a super easy resolution!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I mean, offense...

Unknown said...

those are seriously my two least favorite vegetables...

I don't really make resolutions but I've decided that I'll go to the dr this year and find out just what all is wrong with me--get blood and allergy tests again and such...

I do the green bean delivery service thing--I love my veggies but it forces me to have them in the apt without stopping at the store when I'm tired after work--love that I know just where each thing comes from and how it was grown.

idaho divorce said...

Should watch my diet now for my husband.

mere said...

I resolve to laugh hysterically at the attempts made to get Will to eat more vegetables.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails