Monday, January 30, 2012

What weekends should be like...

Sapori Market -- 327 Romany Road
Two weekends ago, Marc had a terrible weekend.  It went like this:  Saturday morning funeral; Saturday afternoon visit mom in nursing home; later Saturday afternoon attend church vestry retreat,  Sunday morning attend more church vestry retreat; Sunday afternoon visit mom in nursing home.  He said, "I didn't get a weekend."

This past weekend?  Much better.  Friday night -- hang out with wife and daughter (always good hanging out with the girls).  Saturday morning visit mom in nursing home but be home by lunch.  Saturday afternoon, well, this was the best part.  Marc walked with me to a home showing. 

I always fantasize about walking or riding my bike to show property but it's never very practical.  I usually have stuff I have to carry, the houses are too far apart, and there are people who would probably think it was weird.  The clients I was meeting on Saturday are special though -- we've known each other since I helped them buy their first home right before they got married several years ago.  They now have the world's sweetest baby (she could be Mary Rollins' twin). The wife also dreams of being able to ride her bike to work and they want the world's cutest baby be able to walk to school one day.  Naturally, they now want to live in Chevy Chase. 

I also figured they'd not mind a bit, and actually like, that I walked to a showing and Marc was super excited to come along.  He'd never met my clients before, although I talk about them a lot,  and the husband is also a CPA.  You know how accountants are; they are always super excited to meet other accountants!!  Plus, I told him he could be my intern for the day and turn the lights on and off in the house.  He was super excited.  And, I suggested that he could bring money and buy us frozen yogurt on Romany Road on the way home.  You can probably feel his excitement jumping out of the screen, can't you?

It turned out to be just as super fun and super exciting as he had anticipated.  We showed the house and Marc did an excellent job turning the lights on and off, the CPAs met and are now BFFs,  and we stopped for yogurt at Orange Leaf.  It was perfect.  I'm still a bigger fan of Fro-Jos but alas I cannot walk or bike to Fro-Jos. 

It was also a day of making new friends.  We discovered Sapori D'Italia Market, an Italian Neighborhood Market located across the street from Wheeler's and next door to Orange Leaf.  I think it was the sight of the lovely cheese case that lured us in.  I know it was the cheese case that lured us in, for we have never met a cheese case we didn't like.  We also met the owner, we liked him too.  He gave us a quick tour highlighting not only his lovely cheeses, but also his beautiful sauces, casseroles and soups made from his Italian wife's family recipes, gorgeous prosciutto and salami, tempting homemade pastas, and his own BBQ. We sampled some delicious Italian tea and wished at that moment we hadn't a two mile walk ahead of us for we had nowhere to carry home any of his delights and spent all of our money on yogurt.  We'll be back though -- next time with money and hungry bellies.

Cheese, Glorious Cheese!


We finished our walk, had dinner with friends, watched our last episode of Mad Men on Netflix, and a good weekend was had by all.  As Marc went to bed last night, he said, "now that's how a weekend should be...I just need six more days of it."  



3 comments:

Peddie said...

That sounds lovely!!! I also like that you can finally use the "super excited accountants" tag!

iselby said...

Oh what a great post!!! I love your writing voice. Will you please write a book?

Also, I want to go to the cheese. And, I want to walk to work. It would also be grand if David could come to work with me :) Perfect weekend, indeed!!

iselby said...

I like your tags as well :) "super excited accountants"!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails