Friday, June 17, 2011

Bybee sadness

It finally happened. That which I have most dreaded (and it's not the return of the Dark Lord you kooky Harry Potter readers).  Bybee Pottery has laid off its workers, sold off their inventory and may be closing its doors forever. 

I was making Marc his coffee this morning in the Bybee mug that I bought back in 1988 for my first apartment and looked at the big cracks down the side that have been developing over the last couple of months.  They never bothered me before because that mug was ever so replaceable!  No more.  I touch every piece of Bybee with such tenderness now. 

Dang it. I'm hopeful that this is merely a temporary hiatus of pottery-making but do, please, be extra careful with your Bybee.


My beautiful Bybee (replacement) canisters.  Made especially for me.  They rank high on my
list of best loved material goods.


15 comments:

iselby said...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I shed a tear for Bybee.

mere said...

NOOOOOOO say it ain't so!!!

iselby said...

Could this be true?
http://www.kentucky.com/2011/06/02/1760776/owner-wants-to-save-struggling.html

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

That was my source of info. When I went to take MR to the Domain a couple of weeks ago, it looked very still and quiet at the store. It was a Sunday though. I've been thinking that I need to venture down and see. Or, I could just call.

Peddie said...

NOOOO!!!! I have not yet bought a house in the usa with which I can stock flour and sugar, etc. containers, and store pie plates and casserole dishes... I don't even know if I have a real mug that belongs to me and hasn't just become a sullivans-selby-standard (I think I got a purple one once?)

Can it be bought at all anywhere still?!?!?

Pat said...

I have always loved Bybee Pottery and have collected it all of my married life. I am downsizing now and considering letting my Bybee go. Any ideas on the best venue for selling my pieces?

Peddie said...

I would suggest NOT SELLING IT!!!! Or... to us? Got any pictures?

Pat said...

I will take some photos in the next few days. (I am cleaning kitchen cabinets this week!)

Pat said...

Photos are ready, if anyone wants to see them.

Peddie said...

yes...... have you a blog or should we see them over email?

Pat said...

I don't have a blog. I can send them over email, if you'd like.

Pat said...

Do you want me to send the photos of all my Bybee pieces to an email address?

Pat said...

I am going to be listing for sale my Bybee pottery in the next couple of weeks. If anyone at this blog wants to see the photos of what I have before I do, you can email me at pat-rudy@msn.com.

Peddie said...

thanks pat! I think I jumped to quickly to the conclusion that we should see things because everybody else here has bybee except me, and I can't really afford shipping to germany right now. thanks for the offers though - and I will let you know if I stir up more interest...

Pat said...

Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails