Saturday, May 1, 2010

First Saturday in May

Happy Derby!  If you didn't make a contract on a home by last night, you are out of luck for the tax credit.  Today is the first day I haven't worked in about two and half months.  And a perfect day it is not to work!  It's Derby Day.  I want to go ahead and say that I am rooting for Noble's Promise!  We've had the TV on all day, what with not having tickets to the Derby and no way will I ever go at this point in my life unless I'm sitting in a box, enjoying the stories and fashions of Derby getting ready for Mary Rollins' birthday party tonight. 

(Isabug!  You should see the three-layer caramel pecan cake I made from my Magnolia Bakery Cookbook...it's amazing if I must say so myself.  I was going to try the famous banana pudding but maybe another event...like my birthday!).

Anyway, now that the tax credit deadline is passed, who knows, maybe I'll have time to blog some more.  Well, once I get all my pending sales closed! 

Go watch the Derby!!!!

8 comments:

iselby said...

Yum, post the picture!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I will do it! I will post the picture. It was amazing. It just goes to show that if you follow all the rules of baking like room-temperature eggs, softened butter, pre-heating the oven, lining the pans with wax paper, not over-beating when you add in the flour--you can, in fact, back a perfect cake. Who knew?!?!? I'm now totally inspired to bake more and more. Oh yeah, I wonder if the pound and a half of butter in the cake and icing had anything to do with the quality of the cake. Really isn't everything better with butter (except chili...but that's a different story)?

iselby said...

Did you really make chili with butter?

Yes, butter makes everything better. David likes to think that he can skimp on butter (to be healthy) and then wonders why it doesn't taste like when his mom makes it! HA!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

No. I never made chili with butter but I had a friend who did. I'm not naming names though.

Now baked potato soup is much better when made with bacon grease as are crab cakes....

Peddie said...

... which you should always have stored in some old can. Welcome to Grandma's house! and HAH! I finally found out where you sneakers were talking about that cake!!!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I love cake...seriously. I never used to think about cake but I think about it all the time now. It's quite possibly becoming my favorite food group.

It's about time you started reading this blog Peddie!!!

Peddie said...

Hehe, I know... it is about time. There are so many blogs! How does the bug keep up with all of them?!?! I, btw, still haven't seen any cake pictures...

word verification is "resphi"... don't they help you figure out which sorority you want to join?

(Ps: Katie and I going to Mannheim after school to see Johanna!!! Yaaay!)

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

You all are having too much fun At Home in Deutschland. Tell Johanna "hello" from all of us Mathews. We want an exchange student from Mannheim.

(okay and so confused about resphi but then the light went off. Ha ha...did you have a Rho Chi or a Rho Gamma. We had to change the name!). Your Rho Chi just had a baby. Saw cute pictures as Mac's parents live down the street. For a big city, Lexington is so small.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails