Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Real Estate Week Tuesday -- Occupational Hazards

My friends are always jealous that I'm a Realtor because they think all I do is look at pretty houses.  Then they go to lunch with me and I have to take calls* because there's some housing crisis I have to solve:  multiple offers, bad inspections, delayed closings and families with no place to live.  After lunch, my friends really respect me and think I'm worth every penny I make. 

Sometimes even the "fun" part -- showing property isn't pretty.  Like, the time I showed the house that was full of fleas or the time I nearly fell 4 feet down into a closet that wasn't really a closet.  It was a hole behind a door in a basement bathroom that had no lighting.  And, of course there was the time I showed a house to two sketchy guys who turned out to be on a warning list by our Board of Realtors.  They seemed really nice but fortunately I'd let them go to the basement by themselves.  In addition, I've fallen down steps, hit my head on low-hung chandeliers, and walked in on sleeping trespassers.  One of my all-time favorite showings was at a house with a padlocked bedroom door.  Locked bedroom doors are always a bad sign.  My client looked through a rather wide crack in the door and saw that the occupants were keeping a fox in the room.  Being nosy, I looked too.  She was right.  It was definitely a fox.  And recently, a fellow agent told me she got a call from a private detective who wanted to use her vacant listing for a stake-out.  

Last Saturday, I had a lot of fun.  I tromped through an overgrown 11 acre pasture with a buyer who wanted to build a home on it.  The listing agent had told me to feel free to go through the gate to the lot and walk the property.  What the agent neglected to tell me was that the pasture was full of cows.  We were lucky there wasn't a bull in there and the seller was lucky that his cows didn't get out the gate I left wide open. 

I bet you wish you were a Realtor now, too!


*please note, I try very hard not to take calls when I'm lunching with friends but sometimes I don't have a choice. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails