Saturday, September 29, 2012

Real Estate Week Friday -- except isn't it Saturday?

That's the way things go in real estate.  You never have the same day twice (which is one of my favorite things) and the ability to adapt quickly to change is one of the best skills a Realtor can have.

I did have a lot of ideas for Friday's post which makes me think, perhaps I should go back to having  more real estate-related posts.  Real estate really is fascinating.  If it weren't, would there be a whole TV channel dedicated homes and gardens?  The only thing that seems to hold the same level of fascination for Americans as where they live has to be the food they eat.  I like food, too.  Last year, I had a great client, now friend Amanda, who is an executive chef.  We talked a lot as we searched for homes about being in professions that are so well (?) documented by reality television.  Sometimes, Marc will be watching a show on HGTV with some catchy title like "Nasty homes that should be torn down instead of put on the market." I told him I couldn't watch it because I'd been showing those houses all day.  He claimed I should look at it like professional development but I mentioned that he probably didn't want to come home after a long day and watch a reality show about university accounting.  

A few months back some client of mine were finalists for being on House Hunters.  I learned a lot from the application process just how un-real reality TV really is.  While the buyers have actually bought the home they select, they've already decided on the home before they are even selected to be on the show.  The other two homes are decoys -- chosen to throw off the viewers.  Sometimes the decoy homes aren't even ones for sale but random houses that meet some of the criteria for which the buyers were looking.  And, as much as I make fun of the show, it was a little disappointing not to be selected.  I hope it wasn't because my audition video was filmed by 15-year olds with an iPhone.  The casting director was very enthusiastic about us and she thought my clients' house hunting story was great but alas, the producers wanted to go in a different direction.

So, while I had good intentions yesterday, I spent the day instead, preparing an offer for some clients, showing a house that had just come on the market to a buyer that's been looking for the perfect home for years but still renting (one day we'll find the right house), doing some background research for some first-time home buyers I just met, and getting ready for a Sunday open house at 534 Chinoe.  All in all, a good day even without a blogpost.

2 comments:

iselby said...

Can we have another real estate week?

Peddie said...

I'm sure your 15yr old filmers were well equipped to catch you in the best lighting on your best-looking day every anyway... it's those silly shows that can't recognize the talent!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails