Tuesday, March 8, 2011

You will want to see this...

Just because the World Equestrian Games are over doesn't mean that Lexington isn't still a really cool place to be.  Right now my very own, Christ Church Cathedral is hosting a solo exhibit of Russian-born Ludmila Pawlowska's work entitled "Icons in Transformation".  The show at Christ Church opens the exhibit for all of the U.S.  It's appeared in Cathedrals throughout Europe and the amazing art-at-the Cathedral committee (of which I'm not a member) orchestrated our Cathedral as the setting for its American opening.  The show while on exhibit in an English Cathedral even drew a visit from Prince Charles and Camilla.

Sure, you're thinking how cool could an art exhibit at a church be?  This is cool.  This is perhaps one of the most incredible art exhibits I've ever seen.  Ludmila's works are inspired by traditional Russian icons but her pieces are anything but traditional.  They're huge and small, rich and textured, gigantic sculpture and small canvas.  You could look at most pieces for hours and never see all that's there!  I don't know when I've ever been so tempted to defy a "do not touch" sign.

The pieces are placed throughout the entire Cathedral.  There are works you pass going to the altar rail for communion, six gigantic pieces flank the entry to our great hall, works along the walls of the sanctuary and the crown of thorns...wow..let me just say that I'm going to stand inside it one day when no one else is around.  I had the opportunity to serve food on the opening night which coincided with Lexington's Gallery Hop and 800 people hopped through.  While we do serve free wine, I'm pretty sure they were drawn by more than that.    We've also had some wonderful forums and great dialogue about sacred art and the place of art in worship. 

I haven't done it yet, but I intend to take at least one day off of work during Lent to spend with the Icons.  Want to come spend a day too? 

Here's a link to the exhibit:   http://www.diolex.org/article279868.htm  and let me also recomment just googline Icons in Transformation if you want to see what I'm talking about!

7 comments:

Peddie said...

Noooooooooo that sounds like an exhibit MADE for moi... I love icons!!! ARgeth!

iselby said...

I would love to spend a day there during Lent! I want to visit!!!!

Peddie said...

I am a jealous (what a great scrabble word!) monster bear!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

You should come visit!!! I realized after I wrote this that we have had some other super-cool exhibits and really could there be a better place for art than a Cathedral. Art should speak to your soul afterall! Another one of my favorites was a celtic artist.

We also had that great exhibit called "Commonage" that was pots in the walled garden (did I tell you about that one). That was so intense and you just had to talk about it! We had some of the pots from the show. Young Wilbur brought some home as did MR and I. He hid some of them in our yard and later he used them for bb gun practice. I still have a couple of those left.

Peddie said...

I love that extra interesting-ness that Will adds to every sweet story of your family ;)

Peddie said...

PS: Aunti G - you are going to LOSE you scrabble game if you don't play or pass soon!

Peddie said...

(PS... you don't actually have to worry about the scrabble game though. We will play next time we see each other in REAL life ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails