Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To resolve or not to resolve...

Here’s my problem: New Year’s Day is quickly becoming the distant past and I still don’t have a resolution. I just finished reading a great little book called My Life as an Experiment: One Man’s Humble to Improve Himself by A.J. Jacobs. A.J. Jacobs is an editor at Esquire Magazine and a “humorist” whose most recent book is comprised of ten hilarious experiments he undertook for one month -- things like practicing Radical Honesty, outsourcing his life to India, obeying his wife in all things (I loved that one, she did too) and living George Washington’s code of conduct.

Reading a book like that at the New Year really puts into perspective NOT having something in mind for a New Year’s resolution. Normally, I’m an avid embracer of resolutions and ever-conscious of making changes to improve my life. I have, in my day, made vows to keep my desk clean, exercise regularly, give up diet Coke, use reusable grocery bags, track my work mileage more consistently, make a to-do list every day, not gossip, write thank you notes immediately…. Okay, I have a long list of resolutions I’ve made over the last 40+ years -- some I’ve put into practice with New Year’s, others I work into a Lenten theme and I’ve even been known to practice radical life changes with Advent - when I need an extra boost to do things like make a regular time for writing and/or prayer (sometimes the same thing). Some of the above list I’ve actually accomplished -- for example I never forget my reusable grocery bags and I exercise at least 5 times a week. Some of my resolutions I haven’t kept – my desk is perpetually messy and I love Diet Coke. With baby steps and a regular practice though, I believe you really can change a behavior if it’s important to you.

Since I hadn’t been able to dream up my own resolution for this year, I decided to ask my husband if he was going to make a New Year’s resolution. I’m not above stealing somebody else’s great idea. Marc said, “I don’t do girlie things like resolutions.” Really? Resolutions are girlie? “Yeah, only women make New Year’s resolutions”. For a few seconds, I considered asking if he had any resolution suggestions for me, since I am a girl, but I had a sudden flash of the myriad of ways he might offer up for me to improve as a wife. I figure I’m better off not asking questions about things I don’t really want to know.


Mostly for curiosity’s sake, I thought I would ask my children if they had any New Year’s resolution ideas for me. We were in the car (of course) at the time and Mary Rollins suggested that I could do a better job of learning song lyrics if I was going to continue to sing out loud at anytime in 2011. Will followed up with the thought that perhaps I could resolve not to sing at all. On a side note, he also thinks his sister should make the same resolution.


So, here I am, January 5 and still pretty much resolution-free and pretty much certain that this might be the after-shock of my 2010 policy not to send Christmas cards. So for 2011, I hereby resolve -- Not to Resolve. I’ve decided that sometimes you just need to let things go as they are. I promise to remain open to possibility and recognize the value of change, but I think I shall accept that there might be enough on my plate without undertaking any self-improvement quests, humble or not. Maybe next week, I’ll feel differently and decide that I need good rousing dose of self-improvement but I’ll save it up for Lent. For today, I’m going to be at peace with the person I am and enjoy a Diet Coke at my very messy desk.







If I do change my mind and come up with a REAL resolution, I’ll let you know. In the meantime, I’m going to keep singing but maybe, just maybe, I’ll try to get the lyrics right.







Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/01/05/1587751/to-resolve-or-not-to-resolve.html#ixzz1ABKUHa8D

7 comments:

iselby said...

Yay! This post gets the highly enviable 5 stars from Isabug.

I don't have a New Year's resolution this year. Though I would like to take a multivitamin everyday (haven't started yet) and I would like to use moisturizer for my face every night (am doing).

I still haven't read the AJ Jacobs and really want to. Currently am reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog and I feel like I should read it with a dictionary. Is there an app for that?

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I am so honored Isabug! Thank you for being a faithful reader!!!

I recommend the gummi bear chewable vitamin from Costco. It's possible that it's not as vitamin-ful as a grown-up vitamin but it's really cute and tastes like candy therefore I'm much more likely to take it hence it's better for me?!?!?. Let me also recommend the calcium supplement gummi-bear. It's sourpatch and delicioso! There's also a fish oil one....ewww.....


I got that book A.J. Jacobs book from you! You'll like it. I kind of want to read his year of living Biblically. As to the Elegance of the Hedgehog and living Biblically, I read it during my fourth year of EfM when we were studying philosophy most of the time. If I hadn't been so immersed in that class, I would have absolutely needed the dictionary for it. (Oh...and Grandpa says his Kindle has a dictionary built-in).

iselby said...

Hm, maybe the Kindle really is the way of the future. Having a dictionary while I'm reading would be amazing, since I am usually too lazy and just make up what the word means.. and I assume I'm close enough, but it would be nice to know exactly what it means!!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I don't know. I still don't think I'm ready for a Kindle. while there's much to be appreciated about them, I'm still a fan of the old-fashioned book.

I also believe that the computer really can't replace writing by hand but that's a different topic.

Where's Claire when I need her, my "captcha" word is "doxyles". It seems to Harry Potter-esque -- like the domicile of a doxie.

Peddie said...

Hehe ;) I am here! My captcha is "spoput" which soulds to me like something Prof. Grubblyplank would teach us...

I actually forgot about resolutions this year and haven't given them much thought. I feel like most of the things I would do are stuff I do anyway... try to be healthier, sort through and give away clothes, vacuum more than once every two months (hey, I sweep. I have to borrow the vacuum whereas I actually bought a broom).

I mainly wanted to say that I went into a fit of absolute giggles at your childrens' suggestions. A FIT OF THEM!

I love you Auntie G (and you, schwester), but I also like you!!!

Peddie said...

spooftei!!!

Peddie said...

bingso! These are hilarious. I wanted to also say that I would like to read that AJ Jacobs book too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails