Tuesday, November 15, 2011

When Zombies attack...

It's not often that I get to write about zombies in my blog but I marked a new milestone in my life last week: my very first zombie movie.  Technically, I watched my very first zombie TV show -- The Walking Dead -- but at the time I didn't realize it wasn't a movie.  Growing up, my big brother Morgan had a brief but exciting fascination with the Dawn of the Dead movie series that involved midnight watchings at Crossroads and the Kentucky Theater followed by frightening and dangerous tales of post-movie explorations while walking home and running into actual zombies.  Being a girl and younger, I was never allowed to go to midnight movies and so missed the opportunity to watch zombie movies.  His wild stories lent a glamorous hint to the zombie movie genre but never so glamorous that I felt compelled to watch one on my own. 

Last Saturday Will and Graff (who was staying over for the weekend) camped on the couch watching Netflix while Mary Rollins was at Nutcracker rehearsal.  I had some laundry to fold and suggested we watch some Doc Martin while I did it.  The boys looked at me like I was a zombie (Will did anyway, Graff was a bit more polite) and so I found myself watching my first zombie movie (okay TV series).  I had so many questions!  How do you get to be a zombie?  Is a zombie the same thing as an inferi (from Will, "Mom, do you really have to turn everything into a Harry Potter reference?")? How come not all dead bodies turn into zombies? If a zombie is already dead, are you really killing it? 

It was so exciting.  And, kind of gross but like a train wreck, I couldn't look away.  I had even more questions I wanted answered.  Like, why do all zombies drag one leg behind them?  Can't you just out run a zombie when they have that limp?

Graff and I took a break somewhere doing the second episode to go pick Mary Rollins up from rehearsal.  Not surprisingly, she wasn't interested in watching zombie movies when she got home.  She took a shower.  We watched more zombies while she did.

The best part of zombie watching has to be the conversation that surrounds it.  Will told me that in a zombie attack, I'd be the family member that he'd chose to have with him because I'm the most resourceful.  Needless to say I was flattered.  Mary Rollins would be the first to be eaten (to which she agreed) and he thought his dad would be pretty useless, too.  In addition, in the case of a zombie attack, Will said the Reverend Janey (aka Graff's mom) would bring him great comfort.  We all agreed, she's just the kind of a person you'd want on your side when zombies roam. 

Zombies are a great metaphor for life, too.  For example, once something is dead -- like a relationship -- can you really re-animate it? 

On Sunday, I got four tickets to Young Frankenstein at the Opera House..  I couldn't help but think it was more than a small coincidence that Saturday's TV zombie fest was going to be followed by Broadway's tribute to the zombie!  Is there something about zombies to which I need to pay attention?  See above reference to zombies as metaphors.

Regardless of the deeper meaning of zombie-ism, I had no idea what I'd been missing.  Zombies are fun!  Perhaps zombies could even be the new vampire.  Well...then again, maybe not.  None of the zombies looked like Cedric Diggory. 

Over the last week, Will and I watched a few more episodes without Graff from the first season of The Walking Dead.  We have one left.  I missed some important parts of the plot by virtue of having to leave the room to cook dinner and while Will tried to catch me up, I'm hoping that maybe Graff will come back and watch the episodes with me again (he doesn't have Netflix).  One thing's for sure, I won't be watching any zombie movies or TV shows by myself.  Or, after dark.  If I learned anything from my zombie weekend, it's that zombies, like most things, are much more terrifying when the sun goes down. 

Even if I could outrun one...

4 comments:

iselby said...

This is hilarious! It almost makes me want to watch zombie movies with you when I come to KY... but might have to skip it for some Doc Martin :)

Also, how sweet that Will picked you as the one he would want to be with. I love that little guy.

My captcha is mormers... is that how a zombie says mama?

Peddie said...

As a runner, you could totally outrun one! I love this post because zombie movies are somehow the only movies I can watch that are scary (pretty much... ask Amy).

Everything you write about what Will says makes me smile, if not lol. I also love that MR agreed (hehe). Zombie metaphors, let's go!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Isabug, here's something super important I learned about zombies. They DON'T talk, that's how you can tell if someone is not a zombie. If they're all bloody but can still speak, no worries, They aren't a zombie.

Anymore questions about zombies, just ask!!

Peddie said...

HAHA! I also asked my friend about the book, and she's only read the Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter one... but liked it! Another friend actually said she'd read and liked P&P&Z... hahahahhahaa!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails