Thursday, November 3, 2011

Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore

Here at At Home in the Bluegrass, I like reading books. Lots of books. And sometimes, I like to let you know about books I’ve read!


I had the good fortune recently to have a new historical novel land in my lap -- Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore by Stella Duffy. I have to confess I have a secret love of historical novels, especially those about women whose stories are merely outlines in recorded history and of whom we know little. Theodora of Constantinople (did you just say "who?") was the wife of Justinian I, 6th century Emperor of the Byzantine Empire. Quick synopsis: Theodora rose from being a young child actress/prostitute of the Hippodrome to marry the Roman Consul Justinian who a few years later become Emperor, she the Empress and one of the most important and influential women of the Roman Empire -- a real life rags to riches story but one so infinitely colored by politics, sexuality, religious discord, and clever marketing you might think you were in the midst of a medieval reality show.

I knew only a little about Theodora and 6th century Byzantine history before I read Stella Duffy’s new novel. What I did know came from a scattered remembrance of the Byzantine Empire acquired during a few history and religious studies courses. Having that knowledge was helpful although I still found myself looking up various terms. Even without a complete understanding of the historical backdrop, the story of Theodora is riveting. Fleshed out by the author from a framework of conflicting sources written in Theodora’s own lifetime, her life’s detail portrays a controversial woman ahead of her time – an early feminist? A woman concerned with the welfare of women and children? A religious convert? A consummate actress? In spite of having rights severely limited by law, Theodora was able to make many of her own choices and appears to have had far greater control over her destiny than women for centuries to come. She was both respected and revered, and like most powerful women of history -- accused of scandal, witchcraft and heresy. Theodora’s story, which would be factually scandalous in any era, is perhaps even more intriguing in context of the timeless questions it raises about politics, power and religion.

I have heard that Theodora is soon to be an HBO series. I suspect it will have all the pageantry, passion and style as the Tudors!


And, just so you know, I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but the opinions expressed here are completely my own!  Always are, always will be...

13 comments:

iselby said...

I love your reviews... you should write flap copy.. or books.. or more reviews :)

Peddie said...

I know who she is!!!! (and dangit... I take it this was a real paper book...)

I agree with my seester, also.

speaking of paperless books, are there any audibles that you would specifically not recommend?

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

It was a real paperbook.

I think my only bad Audible pick has ever been The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore. I had to stop listening. If it had been a paperbook maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much because I could whisk over the disturbing bits but you have to listen to every word of an audio book which is the good and bad part.

Peddie said...

heh, except when the noisy trains go by and sometimes you don't want to take your coldy hands out of your pockets... then you can't listen. I get by though ;)

captcha is "autedurs"... I feel like that could be pronounced every which way!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Okay, how about this...or when you are using Nike+gps and it interrupts the book to tell you that you've passed another mile and your time and average pace...

Peddie said...

hahaha... I WISH I had that happening... does it start back up where it left off?

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I wish. It just talks over it!

Peddie said...

ooooh, that is annoying!

This is totally random, but I'd like to name a dog "Derby" if I ever get one (and maybe only if I'm not in Ky.. would that be cool or stupid there?)

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Cool, I think. Especially if it was a Jack Russell. I want to name a dog Luna. Or, Igor (we saw the national tour of Young Frankenstein at the Opera House yesterday -- will post more about that later. It was fantastic).

iselby said...

Oo! Has this turned into a dog naming post? I always wanted to name a dog Oistins after that place in Barbados where we got flying fish. Yum....

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Oistins sounds like a "captcha" word. I did love that flying fish and the flying fish place (I had forgotten the name). Claire makes the best!!

Peddie said...

Yay dog naming post! (man I'm far behind... hi guys! HAHA... I accidentally typed "gus"!) I also like Oistins, and thanks for the wonderful compliment ;) Could we all do that sometime again... this time with MR coming instead of being a little baby who Gwen was worried about being without her for so long (can you remember that? MR used to be a BABY!!!!).

Plantains, Mt. Gay Rum, Flying fish, brit version Harry Potter, and swimming.

I really don't think it gets any better than that. Maybe I'll name a dog Barbados too. I could have two dogs... (my boss has a dog named "Momo" and she is soooooo sweet... australian sheep dog so also well behaved!)

Peddie said...

"trish" is my captcha! That's actually a name I wanted to name a daughter! (I think because "aunt" Trish always sounded so cool...in both the name and accent)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails