Sunday, October 30, 2011

Skipping school...

I'm not saying that the Mathews' children are truant regularly, but there have been occasions when I let my children be "home schooled" for the day.  Sometimes, the opportunity to do something special, like taking a trip to Cincinnati or Charleston or going hiking in the Red River Gorge will be more meaningful than what they might have done at school.  Every now and then, you just have to be a rebel.  We always make certain it's not a day when there's a test or something really important happening.  And usually, I make them write a paper about what they learned that day. 

Mary Rollins is reading "Knit your own Dog." 
I know you'll want to comment on that.
Mary Rollins had one of those days last Friday.   She'd had a lot of late night rehearsals for Firebird and was signed out of school for a school show performance anyway.  After her morning show at the Lyric Theater, instead of going back to school for the last few hours of the day, we decided to relax with lunch downtown at Doodles, some Third Street shopping, and a stop at Calypso and Black Market.  

We also found our way to the new Chevy Chase location of The Morris Book Shop.  As we perused the aisles and drooled over books like "Knit Your Own Dog," contemporary literature and Kentucky poets, it suddenly occured to us that Williamson girls really are geeks. 

What did you do when you skipped school on Friday afternoon?  We went to the bookstore... 

4 comments:

Peddie said...

Please let that knit dog get to our reading blog, first of all, and secondly...... I think a good home-schooled day is wonderful every once and a while ;)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!! Please please take pictures and post an update so I can live vicariously through you guys!!!

iselby said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN from me too!

I love that you all went to the bookstore :) I don't remember ever skipping school with my Mere. MERE??! We went on some trips, but never to the book store. Oh lala! To be a Williamson girl...

Peddie said...

I know... being a mathewsy-williamson sounds something to me like being Kate Middleton...

Peddie said...

PS... I'd just love to read one of those papers your kids have written... ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails