Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shoes Glorious Shoes...

I like my house.  There's not much it lacks.  Sure, it could be fancier and I'd love a new kitchen with a big gas range and double ovens and a french door refrigerator with granite counters and gorgeous alder cabinets (not that I've been thinking about that or anything) but for the most part, even when I come home from showing really upscale high-end houses, I don't like mine any less.  Kind of like watching Darren Criss in Glee but still liking my husband even though he can't sing...

But what I always envy...ALWAYS ENVY...are people's mudrooms when you come in from their garages. Some lucky people have this sweet transition space lined with beadboard lockers for all of their children's stuff and shoes. That's what I really covet. I usually figure that a mom had some input on that floor plan.


What happens in my house is that nearly every Mathews (and friend of Will's) who walks in my house leaves their shoes, backpack, jacket, shirt they wore to cotillion in the middle of the kitchen.  Most of it lands somewhere on or around the desk and chair in the kitchen but sometimes, as demonstrated in the picture below, they can also be left darn smack in the middle of the kitchen floor by the refrigerator door where you fall over them, repeatedly.   The day I took these pictures there were 7 pairs of boy shoes within 18 inches of the desk.  There's a pair around to the right, plus there was another pair by the front door.

Marc tried to tell me that one day I'm going to miss those shoes but I'm pretty sure I'm only going to miss the people to whom those shoes belong.




Those white shoes belong to Will's best friend who has really big feet,
like a labrador retriever puppy that he still needs to grow into. And speaking of puppies,
Cleo says "hello". 


Let's see I have here, Marc's shoes, Will's dirty cleats (better left
here than worn upstairs I suppose), Will's new Clarks, someone's Rainbows,
Will's backpack, and at least two more pair of shoes out of the line
of the picture. 


4 comments:

Peddie said...

Hehe... when I saw the title of this post, the following content was NOT what I expected! Heehee.

I'm also glad you like Marc even though he's not Darren Criss. I still like Bene without him being Darren Criss too. (I can't help wishing Darren Criss was an additional flatmate though, but I'm allowed that wish, me thinks...)

I have to agree you need a mudroom. I don't know where it could go, but yeah... it's always hard disrobing from sledding gear inbetween cars in the garage ;)

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Mary Rollins read this post and said, "hey, none of that stuff is mine. aren't you proud of me?"

Yes I am.

Peddie said...

Good organized girl! Love that MR!

PS: was talking to some people today about how I'm a big dog person, but that I love jack russels because of you guys and how they are also so sweet when they cuddle up to you on the couch!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Jack Russells are just big dogs in small dog bodies....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails