Thursday, April 17, 2014

Monday Thursday

Monday Thursday.  I used to think that was what Maundy Thursday was called when I was a little.  I know better now.  I love the Maundy Thursday service and remember going to my first service when I was an acolyte as a teenager.  I loved the quiet, the dark, the growing bareness as the alter is stripped.  In more recent years, our service has included foot washing.  Back in the days of our Christ Church youngish moms' Monday morning Bible Study, we discussed our comfort and/or discomfort with foot-washing.  I  both like it and am made uncomfortable by it which is generally a good tip I've found for learning something.  In the words of Carl Jung, "there is no coming to consciousness without pain."  Or at least a little discomfort. 

I am sad to miss the Maundy Thursday service tonight. I'm accompanying Mary Rollins to Cincinnati to see one of her BFFs dance in Giselle.  As much as I truly love ballet, Giselle is not my favorite.  The story is weird and while most ballet stories are a bit odd (hello Franz from Coppelia falling in love with a doll) Giselle's really weird and creepy to boot!  But, I'm going to try to watch it with new eyes tonight and hopefully even keep my eyes open.  I fell asleep for a few moments last time I saw Giselle.  Did I just publicly confess that? 

1 comment:

Picnic Locations in Gurgaon said...

This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails