Thursday, February 28, 2013

The intercom

Our lovely 1960s home still has a few intercoms left. We're gradually removed most of them and dry walled over the cavity they left as we've painted rooms but a few of them are here to stay. Why? Because for now they are built into the kitchen and family room shelves. Sigh. Yet one more reason I need to remodel the kitchen.

When we bought our house with its fabulous Brady Bunch intercoms, my mother was both disappointed and appalled that most of the units didn't work AND that I didn't care, respectively.

"How are you going to call your children for dinner?" she asked.  "We loved having the intercoms!"

We did? I remember hating the intercom. It worked like most drive-thru line intercoms where you receive only a small static-y ration of the words sent.  And if a message was summoning you on the intercom, it wasn't bearing good news like "Come downstairs the cookies are ready!"  The voice usually was reminding you to go bury the garbage or time to practice the piano/clarinet/baton. 

Of the three intercoms that remain in our home, I have done my best to hide them.  Below is the central brain of the thing which does still get AM radio if you turn the dial just right.

By the way, when I want to summon my children from somewhere in the house to go bury the garbage, I do it the old-fashioned way.  I text them.

4 comments:

iselby said...

I like your intercoms. Am I the only one?

In our house growing up we just yelled really loudly. David likes that about Selbies. HAHAhahahahah.

Gwennie said...

I like yelling, too. And, in general we mostly yelled and didn't use the intercoms.

The problem with yelling is that what with going deaf in my old age I can never hear the person respond back so I have to keep yelling.

David's family is so decidedly civilized.

Gwennie said...

and, I mean that about David's family in the nicest way. They are charming and lovely.

iselby said...

I probably have worse hearing than you so I'm with you on that. Even in my tiny apartment when I yell to David I can't hear his response. Oh well!

They are so civilized. Linaburgs are great :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails