Friday, February 27, 2009

Tax Credit Stimulus

I can't believe I haven't posted since Valentine's Day. And some really exciting things have happened in the real estate world. Most significantly, the passage of the $8,000 Tax Credit Stimulus for first-time home buyers is fantastic. For buyers who haven't owned a home in the last three years, they will receive an $8,000 tax credit that does not have to be re-paid as long as they own the home for the three years. This is a significant improvement to the $7500 tax credit that was passed last year which was the equivalent to an interest-free loan.

So what are some implications?

1. If I were renting and felt comfortable that I were going to stay in an area for at least three years, there couldn't be a better time to buy. Between our current low interest rates, a great inventory of homes at slightly depressed prices AND the tax credit, there really couldn't be a better time to buy.

2. If I were a parent of a college student or grad student (which I actually aspire to) in an area that I felt like my child was going to stay for a time period, I would seriously consider helping them make a purchase of a home to live in while they are in school.

With the income tax mortgage deduction and the affordability of interest rates, for those who have the credit to buy a home renting really makes no sense.

I have a great FAQ about the tax credit stimulus which I'll be posting to my website www.GwenMathews.com if you'd like more information or feel free to email or call me directly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails