Friday, August 29, 2008

Lily Program

I'm so excited! I just came back from a walk with the dogs while waiting for the afore-mentioned plumber and my Lily Program questionnaire was in the mail. As soon as I get it turned in, we get our new Lily raintainer!

If you missed the Herald-Leader article about the Lily raintainer -- called the Lily Program -- the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Department of Environmental Quality instituted a pilot program to address storm water run-off. The "Lily" is an attractive rain barrel that attaches to your gutter collecting and storing rainwater from the roof. What makes it different from other rain collectors is that's really cute and has a spigot on the side with which to attach hoses or fill watering cans! Horrible gardener that I am, I'll be using my saved water to fill our fish pond and water my container pots. I think the fish will be really pleased although they don't know about the last batch I accidentally killed so they might not be as excited as they could be...but that's another story. In addition, it's many more gallons of water that stay on my property rather than draining through the yards and picking up pesticides and fertilizers on its way to the lake.

LFUCG only has five hundred available and the cost is $75.00 but I think it's going to be well worth it for the environment and my fish! If you're interested in adding one to your home, call LFUCG at 311 to register for the program. I bet there are still a few left!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails