Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Also seen in my backyard...

As previously posted, I've been spending way more time than usual in my backyard.  There's been a lot going on back there with the flora and the fauna.  There's my bumper crop of poison ivy, the frog who seems happy to have new fishy friends, a really big, really brave bunny rabbit who has been coming to graze in the middle of the back yard every afternoon and my lovely hummingbird, Snitch.  I've spent a lot of time staring out the kitchen window into the backyard at my hummingbird feeder lately. 

For most of August, my hummingbird feeder has only had the one customer.  An adorable, miniscule ruby-throated hummie who calmly sits on the feeder and greedily slurps away.  Then, last week all hummingbird hell broke loose and we had a turf war at the feeder.  Snitch zoomed in and chased away an itinerant hummingbird that had discovered my feeder.  It was very dramatic and buzzy -- like Snoopy and the Red Baron!  The new hummingbird must really like my recipe for food though because he won't be deterred by the angry Snitch.  He keeps sneaking back and hovers over the nectar holes with one eye on eating and one eye looking out for Snitch.  I can tell he's really nervous because he won't sit and eat.  

Yep, it's exciting times at my house.  I should probably get back to work...

7 comments:

iselby said...

I love that the hummingbird is named Snitch! You are so clever, Auntie G.

Peddie said...

what she said!

mere said...

...and what she said!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Snitch I and Snitch 2 have made peace and I've seen both of them at the feeder at the same time. They've also taken to sitting on the top of the feeder all hunkered down into their itty bitty bodies. It turned really chilly (59 degrees today) here Monday with the rain from tropical storm Whatever (Lee?) and they've momentarily resolved their differences. I suspect they are wondering why the heck they didn't migrate south already. I keep trying to take their picture but all I get is window screen. They are soooo cute!!

BTW, it was 90 degrees on Sunday and 60 degrees on Monday. I love Kentucky weather.

Peddie said...

What do the Sntiches do in winter?

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

That sounds like a joke almost...

They fly south to like Mexico or Florida or somewhere but mine haven't left yet. I worry about them. I might take the food in soon so as not to confuse them about what the season is although they are also still buzzing around my naturally occuring trumpet vine. Maybe I'll bring the food in as soon as those flowers are gone.

Peddie said...

hehe. My captcha is "sommeter" so basically - wait till the summer meter has gone down ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails