Monday, December 20, 2010

What would be nice today...

That was the morning prompt that I sent my little writing group today. My goal in sending it was just the simple thought of what you could do that would make today a nice day. I was hoping to send my friends a little nudge to make them write down (or just think about) at least one thing that they knew they could finish today. It might be exercising, it might be getting at least 4 presents wrapped, it might be hanging the picture in your son’s room that was taken down two weeks ago when his room was painted, or perhaps it was even finally removing the un-carved pumpkin that never found its jack-o-lantern soul from the front porch. It would be nice today if I could...


I think sometimes we all expect a little too much of ourselves. The overwhelming feeling of being ever on a treadmill and always moving without actually getting anywhere can be just plain discouraging. So, I decided this morning to write just ONE thing I had to accomplish that would allow me to be able to look back when I got in bed tonight that I could say, “well, at least I got that done!”. As it turned out, over-achiever that I am, I jotted down a mini to-do list of about five things which by the way included something involving both a picture and a pumpkin. If those got done, I could call it a day and a nice one at that.

At the end of the day, here’s where I am on the list. I ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill AND I got several very important work items done (including showing property and setting up my new iPhone e-Key – by the way to whomever put the instructions for that behind the cutting board in the kitchen, you are not my friend). In addition, I have finally cleaned my kitchen from last night’s family gathering, washed sheets, made beds, drove my parents to doctor appointments, picked up my parents from doctor appointments, helped Mary Rollins find an ugly Christmas sweater for a youth group party (tip for finding those: Grandma’s closet, total treasure trove of amazing options), picked up two boys from the mall (that took an HOUR), dropped a boy off, picked up another boy for a sleepover, learned that my parents think there’s nothing wrong with putting strawberry syrup in milk that’s gone bad to make it more palatable for drinking. Oh yeah, did I mention I went to buy some milk for my parents at the grocery. I also threw away a perfectly good frozen pumpkin…so sad. I really wanted to get the pumpkin seeds out but wise daughter said, “Mom, let it go”. No longer is a pumpkin mingling with the Christmas décor.

It’s amazing what you can accomplish when you start your day with achievable expectations. And, sometimes you can even make a blog post. Total bonus!

So what would make a nice day for you?

2 comments:

iselby said...

That strawberry milk comment is making me want to hurl. In the nicest way possible.. ughhh.

You are so productive! Though, I believe that this is nothing new or you - you are everyday. SuperAuntie!

Miss you already!

Peddie said...

Omg yes... what ISabug said. Thanks for adding milk buying to that list. I love what you do though! It sounds like a totally achievement-flled day! You are indeed the Superauntie/mom (to echo again)!!!

And to answer your question (quite boringly), it would be nice today if I got some good studying done and got to bed at a decent hour to wake up for finals tomorrow since my inner clock is way off. Too much to ask? Maybe that my itouch alarm would work? I feel like I'm relying on too much outside stuff now though...)

I'll get off the computer! That's something I can do!

(and great post again ;) Way to let go of that pumpkin... and I love the treasure trove of sweaters...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails