Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nutcracking mornings

It hardly seems possible that it's already Nutcracker season but although my summer flowers are still holding on and Mr. Bones has only just appeared on the front door, my day is starting with a little Christmas-y Tschaikovsky.  This year's morning of Nutcracker preparation has a new twist.  Instead of just watching a retrospective of past year's DVDs or listening to the music on the iPod speakers, Mary Rollins watches a couple of videos I made with my iPhone during a rehearsal for last year's Corbin show.  Conveniently she's reprising her role as Marzipan and will be the demi-solist for Flower and may be the First Flake in Snow.  For knowledgeable Nutcracker watchers, the First Flake (my name not theirs and not to be confused with the lovely Snow Queen) is when the one lone dancer from the Corps spins out on the stage at the very beginning of the dance.  How did Mary Rollins achieve First Flake?  Because thanks to her obsessive Nutcracker watching, when it was asked during rehearsal if anyone knew that part, there she was ready to go.  She taught the rest of the choreography to all the new flakes, too. 

Mary Rollins has decided post-Governor's School for the Arts that as much as she loves ballet, she doesn't want to major or minor in ballet in college. To quote, "I can't imagine wearing pointe shoes eight hours a day for my job."  Apparently, that's the real telling point for a future ballet career.  She claims that it doesn't really matter whether or not the college she chooses has ballet or even a dance program (and no, having a "dance team" is not the same as having dance) but being a mom and knowing better,  I think she would miss it.  And so, as I research colleges for Mary Rollins (she has officially hired me as her educational consultant), I find myself looking to see if colleges have dance programs (preferably ballet) or at least their town a real ballet company that would offer adult classes and put on Nutcracker. Why?  Because even though she can't imagine being on pointe eight hours a day, she also can't imagine a life without Nutcracker.  She'll do whatever it takes to be in the Nutcracker, even if it means being a party parent.


Last year's rehearsal of Snow.  I love the little snow flurries off to the left watching
the Snow Corps.  A friend of ours who is a retired ballerina told us that hearing the Nutcracker
music brings on a minor panic attack.  I'm afraid that in the future MR and her friends will
burst into bittersweet tears of longing.

7 comments:

mere said...

i love all the pictures of the ballet girls arguing while the nutcracker prince and sugar plum fairy gaze into each other's eyes. hahaha

Gwennie said...

MR said that while Nutcracker music doesn't stress her, the music from Prokofiev's Cinderalla does. And currently, she's choreographing the school play and says she sweats a little when those songs come up on her shuffle.

iselby said...

Whenever I hear orchestras play (which is not very often) I get a little teary, myself.

It's strange that it was such a big part of my life, but I don't even look at my violin anymore. But THE MUSIC! THE MUSIC... ahhhhh.

iselby said...

I think MR should go to NYU or CofC. That was I can see her a lot!

Peddie said...

I can't imagine MR as a non-bunhead...


and if MR went to CofC... would she also get the occasional glass of white wine while playing scrabble and then sleeping over at her auntie's house to do laundry? Just sayin'....

Gwennie said...

She has decided that she is not a C of C girl. She loves Elon at the moment and we are going to visit Furman, Butler, DePauw, Sewanee, and she also likes Vassar, Colgate, and Wellesley (except she doesn't like their male:female ratio. We are going to visit Belnont too. We've only been to Elon and High Point so far--lived Elon thought High Pount was really weird.

Oh, and she lioves Transy except for its proximity to her hometown and her dad's office!

Peddie said...

I really liked (visiting) Elon too!!! And I understand with the Transy proximity thing ;) that's why I didn't go CofC, among other reasons...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails