Thursday, August 26, 2010

Facts & Oberservations about Lexington

Fact Number 1:  It is officially only 30 days until the start of the World Equestrian Games.  If you don't live here, that probably doesn't seem like a big deal (actually I live here and while I hate to say it I'm not sure it seems like a big deal). 

Fact Number 2:  The Wall Street Journal had an article on the best and worst markets to invest in real estate.  Lexington was ranked as number 5 on the BEST markets.  Pretty cool.  The worst markets are in Florida and Las Vegas.  Imagine that. 

Fact Number 3:  School starts too early in Fayette County.

Fact Number 4:  Horse Mania is back and well underway. 

Observation Number 1:  Over the last 6 months, I have noticed more and more bikers (not the motorcycle kind) riding the streets of Lexington.  These aren't just the usual plethora of neon Lycra-clad ectomorphs who speed by on their racing bikes heading for country roads doing Lance Armstrong impersonations.  Those people have been around for years.  What I'm seeing are normal folk on bikes with baskets, wearing backpacks and actually using their bike as an alternative means of transportation!  Some of them are college students but many of them appear to be from the ranks of the gainfully employed.  It's so cool!  Even kids are out riding instead of being driven.  Will found his freedom this summer on his bike and has ridden to school and spend whole days meeting up with friends and roaming Chevy Chase in his throw-back 1950s lifestyle.  It's true functional and practical biking that includes dining at the counter of Wheeler's Drugstore or Graeter's Ice Cream and then heading over to Wyatt's pool or to throw some smoke bombs in our backyard.  I'm part of the biking revolution too, as I have have tried to make all of my mini grocery trips and around Chevy Chase errands on my bike.  In fact, I think Mary Rollins and I rode somewhere nearly everyday this summer doing virtually all of our grocery shopping by bike. 

I'm seem to be writing about biking a lot lately, don't I?

2 comments:

Peddie said...

Yay biking!!! And not only that... NORMAL bikers. I'm glad I don't have to feel weird that it is pretty much my ONLY form of transportation here, but that I also don't own bike shorts, when I see that you guys can do it too ;)

Not to make the crossover into "What2Read," but has anyone read "Boy's Life"? I remember the bike in that being the boy's best friend...

Gwennie said...

You would so fit in on your bike here these days Claire and I'm not saying it as one of my "commercials of Lexington to talk you into moving here after Germany!" It's almost shocking to me. Lexington seems to have had this amazing transformation into a cool place for youngish people to leave (or maybe I just think that because I'm getting oldish and don't know any better). As you know, Lexington's always been a great place to live but it's getting really hip. Not as hip as Brooklyn but maybe as hip as Charleston but without the beach and the traffic. Plus, there are all these bike lanes popping up all over the place. I'm definitely voting for our current mayor again. Things aren't perfect but I sure feel like Lexington has moved forward in interesting ways over the last few years.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails