Tuesday, February 21, 2012

of Books and Cheese...


Lent begins tomorrow. Probably you know that and have already been considering your own Lenten discipline.

I love Lent. I've mentioned that before, haven't I? That along with my whole great affection for the cycle of the church calendar. Tonight we won't be able to make it to church for Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper because we'll be worshipping the gods of ballet and lacrosse, but I'm serving Brinner for dinner tonight. Will wants me to point out here that saying "I'm serving Brinner for dinner" is an unnecessary repetition and I can just say we are having "Brinner."

Once I had a priest who when I told him I loved Lent, said, "Please remember, we're an Easter people.". I see his point but there's still something I find terribly comfortable and enjoyable about the weeks of Lent preceding the celebration. Probably because I like over thinking things and Lent is a lovely time for enforced reflection.

I typically give a great deal of thought to my Lenten discipline. I'm on the give something up and add something in plan. This year, I have great intentions of reading the Forward Movement Day by Day Daily Meditation. This is something I should probably do every day but never seems to happen. I'm bookmarking it on my iPad today. No excuses.

In the "give up" category, I'm giving up cheese this year. That's right, cheese. Mary Rollins is too. I've told a few people about our Lenten sacrifice (and well now the entire world since I'm blogging about it) some people have laughed but I think it'll be the hardest thing I've ever given up. I love cheese. I've never met a cheese I didn't like. The Reverend Janey who knows we have a cheese drawer in our refrigerator seems to appreciate the depth and meaning of this sacrifice. I know that every time I forgo cheese, I will be reminded of the reason I observe Lent.

One year I gave up fiction for Lent. A friend of mine questioned me during that Lenten period about “giving up books.” I guess for her it wasn’t much of a sacrifice. For me though, I knew how many quiet spaces I filled up with good stories and that reading is my drug of choice that takes me away from my own life and into other fascinating worlds. . During my Lent without fiction, times that I would have filled with audiobooks -- my morning runs and long car rides especially, meant lots more time in reflection and prayer, listening to silence and listening to music. I was thrilled to have my books back on Easter.  Who knows, I might do it again some Lent that I need it.

Incidentally, I have another friend who always observes a Lenten practice but she will never talk about it. I was thinking about her as I wrote my blog post today and I almost didn't write this post, however, I decided that when I do talk (or blog) about how I observe Lent it's not intended in either a mournful or boastful way.  It's really just about exploring in a community/with friends what we believe and I think it reveals a little more about who we are to other people. For example, I am a cheese-loving, book addict.

So, will you practice a Lenten discipline this year?






On Sunday night, we had fondue farewell to cheese...

4 comments:

iselby said...

Your fondue farewell looks very sweet ..and also very mystical!

I know there are lots of people who don't talk about what they are giving up, but in addition to creating some community in sharing it also helps me actually go through with it. I know that saying something out loud or writing it down and especially sharing with others reminds me that I need to stick to it. You see, I am easily swayed. Bad, Isabug.

This year I'm giving up buying lunches (even on weekends) so that I will prepare the night before and stop spending so much money on pricey Rock Center food. I also am going to try to have more positive thoughts on the way into work instead of getting stressed out by all the people pushing their way onto the subway.

Does that mean I am a money-spending, stressed out person? :(

mere said...

I don't believe this!!! I too gave up cheese, totally independent of you!!! And, yes, I also have a cheese drawer. This is really spooky sister but I'm loving it. Today was easy as I have the flu and have only consumed a bowl of jello in the last 24 hours.... For my positive, a letter a day using the old fashioned post office.

iselby said...

Oh, I love a letter a day! Can I do that too? It is too late? Ohh darn...

Latest New Era Caps- New Cotton Block I LA Dodgers Snapback Cap in Scarlett/Royal – £23.50 said...

nice one!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails